A 45 40 0
Contact: (336) 334-4822, ext. 50407
Limited Enrollment Program: Contact the Enrollment Services Office for Program admission requirements and Program application deadlines.
The Medical Assisting curriculum prepares multi-skilled health care professionals qualified to perform administrative, clinical, and laboratory procedures.
Course work includes instruction in scheduling appointments, coding and processing insurance accounts, billing, collections, computer operations; assisting with examinations/treatments, performing routine laboratory procedures, electrocardiography, supervised medication administration; and ethical/legal issues associated with patient care.
Graduates of Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) -accredited medical assisting programs may be eligible to sit for the American Association of Medical Assistants’ Certification Examination to become Certified Medical Assistants. Employment opportunities include physicians’ offices, health maintenance organizations, health departments, and hospitals.
The Guilford Technical Community College’s Medical Assisting program in Jamestown, NC is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, 1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756, (727) 210-2350 (www.caahep.org), upon recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB).
Upon successful completion of the Medical Assisting Associate Degree program, the graduate should be able to:
- Apply effective written and oral communication skills with consumers and co-workers in the role of medical assistant
- Create solutions to problems related to administrative, clinical, and laboratory procedures
- Implement policies and procedure manuals related to administrative, clinical, and laboratory procedures
- Demonstrate mathematical calculations related to generating laboratory results, administrative bookkeeping, and administration of medications
- Project professionalism by maintaining positive interpersonal skills, being a team player, showing initiative and responsibility, and practicing in a legal and ethical manner
- Demonstrate 100% competency in the Cognitive domains (knowledge) and Psychomotor/Affective domains (skills) required for success as an entry level Medical Assisting graduate