Apr 25, 2019  
2018-2019 Catalog 
2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Associate in Science to Bachelor of Science/Art in Physics Pathway

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs of Study

A 10 40 0 P1

Physics is a science that investigates the fundamental concepts of matter, energy, and space and the relationships among them. Physics is the backbone of many other fields including astronomy, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and engineering, which is evident in fields, such as biophysics, chemical physics, astrophysics, space physics, and geophysics. Guilford Technical Community College (GTCC) offers the first two years of physics courses and courses in other disciplines, such as mathematics and chemistry, for students who want to major or minor in physics for a baccalaureate program.

The two-year program listed below is designed to meet the requirements of an Associate of Science degree and prepare students for a Bachelor of Science/Art in Physics from regional public and private institutions. Students interested in transferring to a four-year college or university after GTCC should consult with the institution they plan to attend, their faculty advisor, and/or GTCC Student Success Center to ensure the transfer of the appropriate courses to that institution for both General Education courses and pre-major electives.

First Semester

Total Credits: 15

Second Semester

Total Credits: 17

Third Semester

Total Credits: 14

Fourth Semester

Total Credits: 14

Total credits required for this pathway: 60


1 Recommendations given for transferring institution: UNCG - HIS 111 or 131, NC A&T - HIS 111 or 112; Guilford College, HPU, or ASU - HIS 131; UNCC or UNCW - HIS 111.

2 Students should take MUS 110 for most institutions or MUS 112 if transferring to UNCW.

3 For most institutions students may select from ECO 251, ECO 252, PSY 150, POL 120, or SOC 210. Students transferring to Guilford College should take ECO 251 and students transferring to UNCW should take SOC 210.

For most institutions, students should take PHI 240. Students transferring to UNCW it is recommended to take ENG 231. Students transferring to ASU should take ENG 241 or 242. Students transferring to UNCG should take COM 231.

5 Students who enter in the mathematics sequence lower than MAT 172 may use these additional hours; however, students will need to have completed MAT 271 before beginning the PHY 251/252 sequence. Students transferring to UNCC should take one of the following courses: HIS 112, GEO 111, GEO 112, POL 210, or POL 220, MAT-285 and foreign language course(s). Students transferring to HPU should take REL 110, REL 211, REL 212, or REL 221 and an additional social/behavioral science from the following: ECO 251, ECO 252, PSY 150, POL 120, or SOC 210.  Students transferring to NC A&T should take MAT 280 and MAT 152. Students transferring to UNCW should take AST 151/151A and foreign language courses. Students transferring to UNCG should take CSC 151, CIS-115 and foreign language course(s). Students who transferring to UNC-Chapel Hill should take MAT-285 and foreign language courses. Other courses to consider are foreign language depending on your institution.

6 For students transferring to ASU, students should take AST 151/151A.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs of Study